Classic Van Auction Talk

Monday 22 December 2014

MERRY CHRISTMAS

CLASSIC CHATTER
WOULD LIKE TO WISH YOU ALL
A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS
& A PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR
AND THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR SUPPORT IN 2014
SEE YOU IN 2015
https://fasab.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/christmas_animated_gif_41.gif

Saturday 20 December 2014

1938 BUGATTI TYPE 57 ROADSTER Coachwork by: Auto Classique Touraine - BONHAMS (USA) Scottsdale January 2015

"CROSSING THE BLOCK"
Featuring
BONHAMS USA
 1938 BUGATTI TYPE 57 ROADSTER
Coachwork by: Auto Classique Touraine

Chassis no. 57661
Engine no. 25C
3,257cc DOHC Supercharged Inline 8-Cylinder Engine
Single Dual Throat Updraft Carburetor
160bhp at 5,500rpm
4-Speed Cotal Pre-Selector Manual Transmission
Semi-Elliptic Leaf Springs with Rigid Front Axle – Live Rear Axle
4-Wheel Drum Brakes



*Exquisite presentation in the style of Jean Bugatti's Roadster design
*Excellent restoration by renowned Bugatti expert Jim Stranberg and High Mountain Classics
*Well-known in the Bugatti Club and among marque historians
*Driven on numerous International Bugatti Rallies
*Quail and Amelia Island Concours Award winner


THE BUGATTI TYPE 57

"The car sped along at 80mph with the comfort and quietness one associates with the Type 57... We were quite willing to believe that Jean Bugatti has achieved the 435 kilometres to Paris in just under 1½ hours in the Type 57 - an average of 77mph..." - Motor Sport, May 1939.

The Type 57 Bugatti, introduced in 1934, marked Jean Bugatti's emergence as Bugatti's leader and creative driving force. It was the first new model built under his direction and it incorporated many features new to Bugatti. Its dual overhead camshaft eight-cylinder engine had dimensions of 72x100mm, offering 3,257cc displacement. The crankshaft ran in five main bearings. The camshafts were driven by a train of helical-tooth gears at the engine's rear with a further crankshaft bearing behind them. Finger cam followers minimized side thrust on the valve stems.

The Type 57 also marked Bugatti's first use of a transmission fixed to the engine crankcase and a single plate clutch. The top three gears in the four-speed gearbox were constant mesh. Jean created a novel independent front suspension system using transverse leaf springs for the first two examples of the Type 57 before Le Patron spied it and insisted it be replaced by a proper Bugatti hollow tubular live axle. Thenceforth suspension was traditional Bugatti semi-elliptical front and reversed quarter-elliptical rear leaf springs with cable-operated mechanical drum brakes.

Much of the Type 57's commercial success may be attributed to Jean Bugatti's sensitive, flowing coachwork which graced the most famous of the chassis' examples. Atalante two-seat coupé, Ventoux four-seat coupé, Stelvio cabriolet and the Galibier sedan vied with the best of France's and Europe's formidable coachbuilders' creations and comprised the bulk of Type 57 production. Bugatti's clients could have the best, but overwhelmingly they chose Jean Bugatti's designs on the Type 57.

Despite financial travail, development of the Type 57 continued with introduction of a stiffened frame and rubber-mounted engine along with the supercharged 160hp Type 57C in 1936. In 1938 the nearly unthinkable happened in Molsheim when Bugatti finally adopted Lockheed hydraulically actuated brakes and replaced the beautiful and lightweight but expensive aluminum-spoked wheels and brake drums with Rudge-Whitworth center-lock wire wheels and separate brake drums.

The Type 57 in all its forms attracted discerning owners who were only satisfied with the best, among them speed king Sir Malcolm Campbell, himself the owner of a Type 57, who wrote: "If I was asked to give my opinion as to the best all-round super-sports car which is available on the market today, I should, without any hesitation whatever, say it was the 3.3 Bugatti... it cannot fail to attract the connoisseur or those who know how to handle the thoroughbred. It is a car in a class by itself."


THE MOTORCAR OFFERED

According to renowned Dutch Bugatti historian Kees Jansen, chassis no. 57661 started its life at the Molsheim Bugatti works in March of 1938. The Type 57 was completed over the summer that year as a Gangloff Stelvio Cabriolet, priced at 86,000 French Francs, and delivered to a client named Lecroix via Bugatti agent Crequy. From here on, the car's history becomes hazy for decades. At some stage, the Bugatti was involved in an accident, and subsequently burnt beyond repair. Its remains, understood to have consisted of the front of the chassis and the engine, were purchased in Paris in the 1980s by Helmut Feierabend, a collector from Wurzburg, Germany. Mr. Feierabend's intention was to restore chassis 57661 with the Voll & Ruhrbeck coachwork of 57819, but due to time constrains, this work was never completed.

Mr. Feierabend later sold the project to Mr. Uwe Hucke, who in turn sold it to renowned collector Jim Patterson of Louisville, Kentucky. Mr. Patterson did not complete the project either, but sold it to the consignor, an Australian based Bugatti collector and enthusiast, along with spare engine 25C (ex-chassis 57646). This gentleman had a clear vision of how he wanted to bring the project to life. In 2006, as he visited the Retromobile show in Paris, he had noticed the incredible coachbuilding skills of Tours, France based Auto Classique Touraine; they had on display a newly built body in the style of the famous Jean Bugatti/Gangloff design no. 3449, the sporting Type 57 Roadster that was never completed due to the outbreak of the war. So the message was clear once the project really got under way in 2007; it was going to be a Roadster in the style of Jean Bugatti/Gangloff design no. 3449, built by Auto Classique Touraine.

Renowned Bugatti specialist Jim Stranberg and his shop, High Mountain Classics, was selected to carry out the extensive work of restoring the chassis and drive line, to later mate to the new coachwork. Photos and receipts of the comprehensive build are available, all told adding up to several hundred thousands of dollars.

Upon completion in 2010, the supercharged Bugatti debuted at the The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering, where 57661 was awarded Best Prewar Sports Car. The following spring, the stunning Roadster was on the field at the Amelia Island Concours, where it was awarded the Best New Coachwork award.

This beautiful automobile has since been used on numerous International Bugatti Rallies in the US and abroad, and was displayed at the Prescott Bugatti Trust meet in the UK. With its light bodywork and powerful, supercharged eight-cylinder engine, this stunning Type 57 is a delight to drive. A known car to the American Bugatti Club Registry, the Roadster is offered with the original engine block no. 483 (although in damaged condition), a history file and restoration receipts. This expertly built, extremely beautiful Type 57 is ready for the next caretaker
 
More images can be viewed at: http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22205/lot/146/
 
 
 
 

Wednesday 17 December 2014

1977 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ40 - BONHAMS SCOTTSDALE AUCTION 15th January 2015

"CROSSING THE BLOCK"
Featuring:
Scottsdale, Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, USA
15th January 2015
1977 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ40
1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
Chassis no. FJ40-243744
Engine no. 2F 153195

4,230cc OHV Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
Single Carburetor
135bhp at 3,600rpm
4-Speed Manual Transmission
Front and Rear Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs – Live Rear Axle
Front Disc Brakes – Rear Drum Brakes


*Comprehensively restored
*Toyota's off-road icon
*Used as a ranch vehicle in dry Eastern Wyoming
*Fitted with rear seat heater – ideal for cold mornings
*Very well presented example of Toyota's rugged FJ40


THE TOYOTA LAND CRUISER

The Toyota Land Cruiser, in its many sizes and configurations, has a long and successful history of reliable service in the most rugged conditions. Patterned after the ubiquitous Jeep and Land Rover utility vehicles, the Land Cruiser demonstrated that Toyota could produce much more than just economical cars.

The Land Cruiser's popularity and utility is reflected in the number of variants in which it was built. It is probably impossible to identify all of them -- they came in short, medium, long and extra-long wheelbases, with a variety of roofs, half cabs, soft tops and doors, and with four- and six-cylinder gasoline and diesel engines. They climb mountains, cross deserts, cross rivers, balance their way over rocky falls – they are one of the archetypical utility vehicles and today finding a good vintage example can be difficult.

Introduced in 1960, the FJ40 series and its variants remained in production for a quarter century, the kind of longevity that demonstrates true value and quality. They became indispensible in unsettled and remote areas of the world, hauled safaris through Africa, developed a devoted following among America's off-road culture and have spawned a host of imitators. Toyota itself paid its homage to the model in 2004 when it introduced the retro-styled FJ Cruiser to capitalize on the continuing image and popularity of the Land Cruiser, some twenty years after the original's production run ended.


THE MOTORCAR OFFERED

This Land Cruiser, a 1977 model, is understood to have spent its life on the dry eastern plains of Wyoming, where it was used primarily as a ranch vehicle, "hardly ever [leaving] the ranch", according to the consignor. Accordingly, it is possible that the indicated mileage of under 25,000 may be original; regardless, fewer than 200 miles have been added since a comprehensive restoration was completed.

During restoration, the body was removed, the job being described as a "nut & bolt body off" affair. The engine and gearbox, as well as other mechanical components and systems, were restored, with components either rebuilt or replaced with OEM Toyota parts where necessary. The consignor notes that the original front and rear floor mats – still in excellent condition – were retained, while the Land Cruiser is fitted with a rear seat heater, no doubt a welcome option on chilly Wyoming mornings!

The result of the recent restoration work is a Land Cruiser that presents strikingly, a fine representation of Toyota's rugged FJ40 off-road icon. It presents in the period color combination of red with a white top over black upholstery, and features the Warn locking front hubs. Perfect for a desert explorer's trip, use on the ranch – as this one has seen – or any number of other recreational uses, FJ40 Land Cruisers such as this one are gaining traction among collectors, and with their classic looks and blend of utility and a proven drivetrain, it's easy to see why.

Without reserve
 
TEXT & IMAGES 2014 BONHAMS AUCTIONS 


1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40  Chassis no. FJ40-243744 Engine no. 2F 153195  1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40  Chassis no. FJ40-243744 Engine no. 2F 153195  1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40  Chassis no. FJ40-243744 Engine no. 2F 153195  1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40  Chassis no. FJ40-243744 Engine no. 2F 153195

Tuesday 16 December 2014

1959 FIAT 500 JOLLY Coachwork by Ghia - BONHAMS USA

" CROSSING THE BLOCK"
Featuring: Bonhams (USA)
As the UK Auction market takes a sabbatical for the next few week we turn our attention to the USA and Bonhams Scottsdale Sale at the begging of January

1959 FIAT 500 JOLLY Coachwork by GHIA 
 
499cc OHV Inline 2-Cylinder Engine
Single Carburetor
22bhp at 4,000rpm
4-Speed Manual Transmission
4-Wheel Independent Suspension
4-Wheel Drum Brakes


*Beautifully presented example of the charming FIAT Jolly
*Few California owners and believed to be just over 4,000 miles from new
*Matching numbers example
*Ready for the beach or the ranch
*Perfect Monterey paddock vehicle


THE FIAT JOLLY

As redolent of La Dolce Vita Italy as the immortal Vespa scooter, the 'beach car' is most famously embodied by Ghia's Jolly, unquestionably the best known of the many alternatives to the standard FIAT 500 and 600 models ranges offered by some of Italy's finest carrozzeria.

Born of FIAT boss Gianni Agnelli's wish for open motorized transport from his massive yacht, the Agneta, during port stops along the Mediterranean coast, the finished car was dubbed 'Jolly de Plage', or Joker of the Beach. Based on the 500 and 600 models' unitary construction, these agile compacts featured independent suspension, a four speed synchronized transmission, with the engine at the rear. The 0.5-Liter air-cooled twin was hardly a performer, but light construction (and mostly low-speed intended uses) made the package work well.

The Jolly found favor as courtesy transport for patrons of luxury hotels and golf courses, such as Catalina Island off the coast of California, where a fleet of 32 Jollys provided taxi service or, as initially intended, for use ashore after one had docked one's yacht on the Italian or French Riviera. Lacking doors and equipped with waterproof wickerwork seats, the Jolly was only practical as leisure transport, thus confirming its owner's status as someone who could afford a car 'just for fun' (indeed, the Jolly was roughly twice the price of the base model it was derived from). Among the list of Jolly owners in the day are jet setters such as Aristotle Onassis, Yul Brynner, John Wayne, Grace Kelly, Henry Ford II, and even President Lyndon Johnson.


THE MOTORCAR OFFERED

Built during the early part of 1959, this gorgeous FIAT 500 Jolly is believed to have resided in California since new, and is a US market 500 model, featuring the desirable 'Bug Eye' lights and the absence of side marker lights. The Jolly's long-term original owner, a Newport Beach, California resident, purchased the new FIAT from the FIAT agency in nearby Garden Grove. It is believed that this owner kept the Jolly from 1959 through 1984, when a Mr. James Hayton of neighboring town Corona Del Mar purchased the car. It would remain in Mr. Hayton's ownership until being purchased by the consignor in 2013.

The Jolly was in original condition when purchased by Mr. Hayton, and in 1992 he decided to treat his beloved beach car to a repaint in its original red color. Brightwork was also refinished to bring up the car's presentation, while more recently, the interior was restored with new carpet, and the wicker seats redone by furniture upholsterer Rattan Mann. The Jolly is well known to a number of FIAT 500 clubs, and retains a wonderful historic California license plate.

A very honest and well-kept Jolly, this fine example was recently fitted with new BF Goodrich Silvertown white-wall tires, and displays just over 4,000 miles on its odometer, a figure that is believed to be the car's actual mileage. Complete with a matching spare tire, as well as an original jack and tool kit, this charming Jolly was recently awarded the Gianni Agnelli trophy at the Desert Concorso in Palm Desert, a testament to this car's place among the FIAT cognoscenti.

Beautifully presented inside and out, this charming Jolly would be a great choice for the ranch, beach, yacht club, or racing paddock, and will surely in
itiate smiles and conversations wherever it goes.
 
 FOR FURTHER DETAILS & IMAGES PLEASE VISIT
COPYRIGHT 2014 BONHAMS

Monday 15 December 2014

1961 MERCEDES BENZ 220SE COUPE - BARONS AUCTIONS

"CROSSING THE BLOCK"
Featuring: Barons Auctions
  1961 MERCEDES BENZ 220 SE COUPE
 Mercedes unveiled its new six cylinder 220 models in 1959 introducing the second generation of saloons and coupés to use the 220 model designation. Like the previous 220 the new cars had a 2195cc six cylinder engine with choice of either S or SE specifications. The more expensive SE Coupé and Cabriolet models featured fuel injection and 1962 disc brakes.
The 220 Coupé shared its two door body with the convertible Cabriolet. The elegant roof line featured a large "wrap-round" rear screen and pillar-less doors. Unlike the smaller engined "Fintail" models the 220 came with "stacked" headlamps either side of the traditional Mercedes grille.
The model remained in production until 1965.
Offered here is a 1961 example of the desirable SE Coupé, which is believed to be one of only 50 right hand drive specimens equipped with the manual transmission. This makes the motor car an excellent basis for historic rallying but also offers the maximum performance from the 2.2 litre, six cylinder engine in every day use.
Finished in white with tan leather interior, the motor car has been in the vendor's care for 21 years and is described as being in very sound, usable condition but in need of some light restoration.
These Coupés are becoming harder to find in sound condition, especially in RHD configuration, and even rarer with the manual transmission.
 Just call our Local Rate Number 
08454 30-60-60
or
  023 8066 8413/8409 - Fax  023 8042 8469
 ALL TEXT & IMAGES 2014 BARONS AUCTIONS

Sunday 14 December 2014

1999 LOTUS ESPRIT - BARONS AUCTIONS 15-16th December 2014

"CROSSING THE BLOCK"
Featuring: Barons Auctions
  1999 LOTUS ESPRIT

The Lotus Esprit was launched back in the mid Seventies as a replacement for the Europa, having originally been shown as a Giugiaro design concept on a Europa chassis in 1972. Part of Chapman's move to take Lotus upmarket along with the Eclat and Elite, the Esprit utilised the marque's new 1973cc 'twin-cam' engine. As one of the most extreme examples of the wedge profile fashionable in the 1970s, the basic shape of the Esprit proved dramatic enough to continue virtually unchanged until 1987 when it was replaced by Peter Stevens' in-house design. Still high-impact but with much softer, friendlier contours, the new Esprit was available in S4 or Turbo guises (the latter model boasting 229bhp and a top speed of almost 150 mph). 
The appeal of the Esprit was greatly enhanced by the appearance of "Wet Nellie" in the 1977 James Bond movie "The Spy Who Loved Me". The name was a reference to Bond's "Little Nellie" gyroscope in "You Only Live Twice". The amphibious Esprit could perform all sorts of Bond-style tasks, including being a submarine, rocket launcher and canon firing, cement spraying menace to Bond's enemies.
Steady development meant that Lotus continued to find a small but appreciative market for the Esprit and it was a natural home for the new 3.5litre V8 engine developed by Hethel in 1996. Featuring twin turbos and producing 350bhp, this engine turned the Esprit into a premier league super car with a top speed of 175 mph and 0-60 time of under 5 seconds. Distinguished by its high-level rear aerofoil, the V8 followed true Lotus tradition in offering this level of performance at a fraction of the price of its Italian and German contemporaries.
Offered here is 1999 example of an Esprit V8, which has covered a warranted 61,000 miles in the hands of just 3 owners. The motor car comes complete with excellent service history, with 11 service stamps and various invoices. In 2014 the car has benefited from a cam belt change, including rollers and tensioners, plus a service by Stratstone of Leicester.
This Esprit V8 is described as being a very clean and tidy example needing nothing.

 Local Rate Number 
08454 30-60-60
or
  023 8066 8413/8409 - Fax  023 8042 8469
ALL TEXT & IMAGES 2014 BARONS AUCTIONS

Saturday 13 December 2014

1935 ALVIS SILVER EAGLE SG - BARONS AUCTIONS 15-16/12/14

"CROSSING THE BLOCK"
Featuring: Barons Auctions
1935 ALVIS SILVER EAGLE SG

   The Alvis Silver Eagle was first seen in 1930/31 as the successor of the model 14/75. Common to all cars was the straight six engine with overhead valves and two rigid axles, which were suspended from longitudinal leaf springs. All models were available as a touring car, roadster, saloon or convertible.In 1930 the cars the options were the SA and SD . Both had a wheelbase of 2845 mm. The SA, at 3962 mm, was a little shorter and 1600 mm wide, and had a 2148cc engine, which gave a decent 72 bhp (53 kW). The SD was 4013 mm long and 1511 mm wide; its engine had 1991 cc with. Both engines were fed through three SU carburetors. . The 1934  Silver Eagle, in SF guise, took the wheelbase and engine from TB. However, the car's length had grown to 4255 mm and the width of the car to 1588 mm and the engine was again fitted with three SU carburettors. Mid-1935, saw the SF  superseded by the SG. While the basic  body remained the same, the engine now had 110 mm stroke, resulting in a displacement of 2362 cc This engine produced 66 hp.  The top speed remained unchanged. The Alvis's of the day were all available with coachbuilt bodies by various companies, including Cross & Ellis, Charlseworth and others In 1936 the series was finally replaced by the Silver Crest. Offered here is a 1935 Silver Eagle, with what is believed to be, a unique FHC body by Cross and Ellis. The motor car has benefited from a recent and comprehensive cylinder head rebuild, new water pump, new radiator, all new tyres on freshly rebuilt wire wheels, a full, professional repaint and new metal as required, new roof covering, including the fully operational sunroof. This elegant Silver Eagle offers the legendary build quality of an Alvis and the uniqueness of its Cross & Ellis coachwork.
Offered at a very attractive price due to the thinning of a collection.
Note: The vendor does advise that the wiring harness on the car would benefit from replacement and suggests that this is looked at before the car is run.
 This is a late entry and will not appear in the printed catalogue. A late and/or replacement list is available on the day.
 For Further information Call
Local Rate Number 
08454 30-60-60
or
  023 8066 8413/8409 - Fax  023 8042 8469
 ALL IMAGES & TEXT  2014  BARONS AUCTIONS

Friday 12 December 2014

1963 SUNBEAM ALPINE GT - BARONS AUCTIONS 15-16/12/14

"CROSSING THE BLOCK"
Featuring: Barons Auctions
1963 SUMBEAM ALPINE Mk III GT

Sunbeam, now part of the Rootes Group, first announced its new Alpine sports model in 1959. The new model was a change of direction for Sunbeam, previous models were larger touring cars, this model was aimed at the younger MG/Triumph TR market. Throughout its production life the model was continuously developed and improved, production finally finished in 1968.
The model was continuously developed throughout the Sixties with an Alpine II arriving in 1960. A Mk III came in 1963 with larger fuel tanks plus a 2+2, hard-top only, GT model. A restyled Alpine IV arrived in 1964 and a more powerful Alpine V followed quickly in 1965.
Apart from regular updates to the Alpine, Rootes also used the model as a base for some unique "niche models", including the special bodied Harrington Alpine and the V8 powered Tiger introduced in 1964.
Offered here is an October 1963 GT Alpine, which has the 1592cc (1600) engine with twin Dellorto carburettors. The car is said to be solid and is offered complete with a large history folder and a current MoT. But the vendor does state that the car would benefit from some cosmetic attention and a repaint.
This is a late or replacement entry and will not appear in the printed catalogue. A late and/or replacement list is available on the day.
 Note: This description is provided by the vendor and unless otherwise stated is 'Not Verified' by Barons or any person employed by Barons. Prospective purchasers are advised to satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of any statements made, whether they be statements of fact or opinion.
  Contact Barons on Local Rate Number 
08454 30-60-60
or
  023 8066 8413/8409 - Fax  023 8042 8469

Thursday 11 December 2014

1994 FIAT PANDA FIZZ - BARONS AUCTIONS 15-16 December 2014

"CROSSING THE BLOCK"
Featuring: Barons Auctions
1994 FIAT PANDA FIZZ

The Fiat Panda is now in its third generation. The first generation Panda was introduced in 1980, and was produced until 1986, when it underwent several changes. From 1986 until 2003, it was produced with only a few changes.
In January 1986, the Panda received a substantial overhaul and a series of significant mechanical improvements. Most of these changes resulted in the majority of parts being changed and redesigned, making many of the pre-facelift and post-facelift Panda parts incompatible between models. The 652 cc air-cooled 2-cyl engine was replaced by a 769 cc (34 bhp) water-cooled 4-cyl unit, and the 903/965cc by a 999cc (45 bhp, 50 bhp (37 kW) in the 4x4) unit. Both new engines were from Fiat's new Fire family of 4-cylinder water-cooled power plants with a single overhead camshaft. The rear suspension was also upgraded, the rear leaf springs being replaced by a more modern independent suspension system using a rigid rear axle (known as the 'Omega' axle) with a central mounting and coil springs. The 4x4 retained the old leaf sprung set-up, presumably to avoid having to redesign the entire 4WD system. Improvements were also made to the interior and the structure. The body was strengthened and fully galvanised on later models, virtually eliminating the earlier car's strong tendency to rust. The rear panel design was also revamped to include flared arches that mirrored those of the front wings, replacing the un-sculpted style seen on earlier models, and the doors received a slight redesign with the earlier car's quarter light windows being removed and replaced by a full width roll-down window.
Fitted with the 999cc FIRE engine, (Fully Integrated Robotised Engine), the Fizz is surprisingly lively, producing 45bhp in an instant fashion.  Quiet and remarkably economical, due to the simple single point fuel injection, the model offers very low running costs but maximum reliability and tremendous fun. 
The example offered here has covered just 3,232 (three thousand, two hundred and thirty two) miles from new, in the hands of a single lady owner. The car comes complete with full service history and all previous MoT certificates in support of the very low miles.
  Just call our Local Rate Number 
08454 30-60-60
or
  023 8066 8413/8409 - Fax  023 8042 8469
 Note: This description is provided by the vendor and unless otherwise stated is 'Not Verified' by Barons or any person employed by Barons. Prospective purchasers are advised to satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of any statements made, whether they be statements of fact or opinion.  
ALL TEXT & IMAGES 2014 BARONS AUCTIONS

Wednesday 10 December 2014

1960 ALVIS TD 21 - BARONS AUCTIONS 15-16 December 2014

"CROSSING THE BLOCK"
Featuring: BARONS AUCTIONS
  1960 ALVIS TD 21

The Alvis TD21 was launched in 1958 with an attractive lightweight body based on a design by Graber of Switzerland. The chassis and 3-litre engine were similar to the previous TC21 models and the coachwork was built by Willowbrook and Park Ward, renowned for their association with Rolls-Royce and Bentley.  The car offered luxury high speed in elegant comfort and, together with its later developments the TE21 and TF21, became popular with numerous well-known people including HRH the Duke of Edinburgh, Douglas Bader, Frank Muir and Nicholas Parsons.
This car was built in late 1960 and was originally a works car bearing registration ALV15.  Research shows that in around 1970 it suffered an engine failure and the opportunity was taken to have the car overhauled by a marque specialist by fitting new body panels, and replacing the engine and driveline with the more powerful version taken from a TE21, including four wheel disc brakes.  The car was subsequently owned by the General Secretary of the Alvis Owners Club and more lately it spent 9 years in Belgium before being repatriated by the present owner last year.  The car now has sprightly performance and excellent road manners combined with its traditional coach built driving ambience.

The body work is rust free with only minor blemishes. The interior is generally in fair condition although the leather upholstery would benefit from cleaning and re-nurturing.  Mechanically the car is in sound condition although there is some gearbox noise evident at idling.  The car has an MOT valid until mid-May and comes with a stack of invoices and old MOTs etc. outlining its history.
 
 Just call our Local Rate Number 
08454 30-60-60
or
  023 8066 8413/8409 - Fax  023 8042 8469
Website: Barons Auctions

All Images & Text 2014 Barons Auctions

Tuesday 9 December 2014

1978 FORD CAPRI Mk II 2000 - BARONS AUCTIONS

"CROSSING THE BLOCK"
Featuring: Barons Auctions
1978 FORD CAPRI Mk II 2000

Manufacturer
Ford
Model
Capri II
First Registered
1978
Registration No
XRP 3S
Engine No
TE04940
Chassis No
GEACTE04940
MOT
Nov 2015
Colour
Red




As with the original (1969-1974) Capri series 2000 (2 litre) and 3000 (3 litre) versions topped the new Capri II range. The 2000 models now used an in-line four cylinder "Pinto" engine in place of the original V4 unit. A number of trim levels were available on both the 2 litre and 3 litre models including "S" and Ghia versions.

The Capri 2000 and 3000 used the same new body shell as the rest of the revised range. This new shell incorporated the hatchback boot, square headlights and larger tail-lamp clusters which modernised the original lines. The Capri was now a firmly established best seller and sales remained strong enough to update the Capri again in 1978 with the arrival of the Capri III.

Offered here is a rare, one owner from new example of a 1978 Ford Capri MK II 2.0 GL. The car is totally original and showing only 21,655 miles and drives as you would expect with such a low mileage specimen. Everything is said to work and the car is described as being  in great running order. The vendor stresses that this is a fine and very rare, unmolested example of a MkII Capri, which would seem to be the rarest of all, with only 8 of this particular derivative left on the road according to www.howmanyleft.co.uk.

This Capri was recently rescued from dry storage after not being on the road for over 20 years, has now been recommissioned and is running perfectly. Recent works include new water pump, Cam belt and oil service, an MOT until November 18th 2015 and is now ready to be cherished and enjoyed once again.

So now you can have the car you always promised yourself.

 For Information Just call BARONS
 Local Rate Number 
08454 30-60-60
or
  023 8066 8413/8409 - Fax  023 8042 8469
Note: This description is provided by the vendor and unless otherwise stated is 'Not Verified' by Barons or any person employed by Barons. Prospective purchasers are advised to satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of any statements made, whether they be statements of fact or opinion. ALL TEXT & IMAGES 2014 BARONS AUCTIONS