SALE OF CLASSIC, VINTAGE CARS & MOTORCYCLES
WEDNESDAY 23rd SEPTEMBER 2015
EASTERS COURT, LEOMINSTER HR6 0DE
AUCTION STARTS AT 12 NOON
1941 PONTIAC SILVER STREAK
|Estimate||£10,000 - £12,000|
|Description||Pontiac Silver Streak|
|Engine size||3,917 cc|
Launched in 1935, the Silver Streak was marketed by GM as 'the most beautiful thing on wheels'. It got its name from the parallel chromium ribs that raced up the vertical grille and streaked on across the bonnet to give an impression of speed and glamour.
They cost a bit more to buy than GM’s budget Chevrolet models, but a few dollars less than the more upmarket Buick marque, occupying a space in the market for the ‘blue collar’ buyer willing to spend just that little bit extra for a few of life’s luxuries. The Pontiac still offered plenty of performance from its 3.9-litre flathead six engine which was mated to a three-speed manual column-change gearbox and they sold in their tens of thousands.
Despite Pontiac's huge sales volumes, the vendor confirms that this 1942 model year two-door is one of just 402 such examples made. The American military were sucking up everything that could be obtained in the immediate aftermath of Pearl Harbor, requisitioning all of these two-door models from factory stocks for military use, ordering fresh supplies of the more practical four-door sedan thereafter.
During 1945, the US Government issued an edict to destroy vast numbers of now redundant military vehicles in a bid to control the supply of used vehicles onto the home market. This two-door therefore had a lucky escape, ending up in a museum at Travis Airforce Base, California, making it a rare survivor indeed.
Liberated when the museum closed and imported into the UK in 2004, it was acquired by the vendor with no brakes or working electrics. He set about its renovation, a process that included recommissioning the car for the road, fitting new tyres, a 12 volt alternator conversion and a brand new carburettor. It was given a bare-metal professional respray and painted in 101 Airborne Division livery which it wears to this day, the seats being retrimmed in an appropriate material at the same time.
The vendor reports that it drives just as it should, the engine sounding commendably sweet when started during our visit. Ready for show, this fine looking, extremely rare Silver Streak two-door has huge street presence and will certainly get you noticed!
f you have any questions regarding our next auction, please contact Toby Service on 01568 611122.
- Viewing - Tuesday 22nd September 9am to 7pm and morning of the Sale.
- Absentee and Telephone Bidding - please call 01568 611122 or email us at email@example.com to arrange your requirements. Please note:- registration for absentee and telephone bids closes at 5pm on Tuesday 22nd September, so please do not delay in registering your interest, to avoid disappointment. If you will be unable to meet that deadline, please use online bidding.
- Online Bidding - a deposit of £5,000 will be required, refundable if you fail to purchase. You will be able to register right up to the start of the sale. Registration will open on Thursday 17th September.
- Watch the sale online on the day - it will be live from 11.45am, with the sale commencing at noon. Please note - this auction may be filmed.
- Our buyer's premium rate is just 10% plus VAT.
- Our ten-acre sales centre offers 24 hour security with undercover storage, fully insured and Chubb Alarm monitoring. We are happy to safekeep your vehicle for weeks after the sale. Terms apply.
- We offer free parking and viewing. Entrance to the salerooms on the day of sale is by purchasing a catalogue at £20. We have an excellent on site café with additional outside catering. We also have free WiFi for customers on-site.
Post a Comment