COMING TO AUCTION
WEDNESDAY 23rd SEPTEMBER 2015
EASTERS COURT, LEOMINSTER, HR6 0DE
1930 FORD MODEL A TWO-SEATER COUPE
|Estimate||£9,000 - £11,000|
|Description||Ford Model A Two-seater Coupe|
|Engine size||3,285 cc|
|Documents||V5; old style log book|
It must have come as a bit of a shock to Henry Ford when he finally realised that his beloved Model T had reached the end of its life: in the early 1920s he had confidently declared that the T had now reached perfection and there would never be any need to change its design.
The decision to change the model was especially difficult because the mass production methods used in the T’s manufacture meant that the whole production line had to be changed, a feat which took almost exactly a year. With thorough planning and programmes to keep the dealers on board, Ford managed to stay in the business of selling cars without a single new machine leaving the famous Highland plant during that whole change-over year. Quite some feat!
When it did arrive, the all new Model A was worth the wait, the market clamouring to get their hands on the brilliant new car. Production started during December 1927 and it was available in four standard colours, although black was not one of them!
The chassis was entirely conventional, with a strong and reliable four-cylinder side-valve engine mated to a three-speed gearbox, now with effective four-wheel brakes as standard. Gone was the Model T\'s planetary transmission and, with twice as much power, a safe speed of 65mph could be achieved. A range of body styles was available, including sedans, tourers, coupes and light trucks.
During its four-and-a-half-year production run, around 4.9 million were sold, the car being replaced by yet another Ford masterpiece, the all new V8 which was introduced to outdo Chevrolet’s popular six-cylinder models.
Believed to have been assembled in Ford\'s Dutch plant, this Model A was sold new to Norway in 1930, arriving in the UK in 1981. It was purchased by the vendor in the early ‘90s and treated to a ground-up restoration which entailed a complete strip and rebuild including all mechanical elements, trim and paint. The V5 states the engine size as 3,285cc which would indicate a 24hp model, the engine appearing to be a later unit from a B Model.
The car carries an unusual two-door two-seater coupe body with rear boot rather than the more commonly encountered dicky seat. Apart from some minor deterioration to the paintwork on the bootlid, it remains in very presentable condition although has seen little use over the last few years due to illness and would no doubt benefit from a thorough service and check-over prior to use.
The Model A Ford is undoubtedly one of the easiest vintage cars to own thanks to its powerful engine, bountiful supply of spares and rugged reliability, ranking alongside the Austin 7 in the popularity stakes in many VSCC events.
CATALOGUE AMENDMENT; Bidders are advised that this appears to be a 2,033cc model and we believe it has a later B-Model engine. It is now running.
- Viewing - Tuesday 22nd September 9am to 7pm and morning of the Sale.
- Absentee and Telephone Bidding - please call 01568 611122 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your requirements. Please note:- registration for absentee and telephone bids closes at 5pm on Tuesday 22nd September, so please do not delay in registering your interest, to avoid disappointment. If you will be unable to meet that deadline, please use online bidding.
- Online Bidding - a deposit of £5,000 will be required, refundable if you fail to purchase. You will be able to register right up to the start of the sale. Registration will open on Thursday 17th September.
- Watch the sale online on the day - it will be live from 11.45am, with the sale commencing at noon. Please note - this auction may be filmed.
- Our buyer's premium rate is just 10% plus VAT.
- Our ten-acre sales centre offers 24 hour security with undercover storage, fully insured and Chubb Alarm monitoring. We are happy to safekeep your vehicle for weeks after the sale. Terms apply.
- We offer free parking and viewing. Entrance to the salerooms on the day of sale is by purchasing a catalogue at £20. We have an excellent on site café with additional outside catering. We also have free WiFi for customers on-site.